Wednesday 27 August 2008

Strangers with Evil Candy

"It'll be just like starting University again!' I said to all that were forced to listen 'I'm meeting a whole bunch of people, leaving in halls, and going to classes. It'll be awesome!"

What you have just read is the view-point of someone who hasn't started University for three years. During this time, all the bad memories have faded, leaving only the false or rose-tinted.

So for the benefit of my past-self, who will never be able to read this in time, here is one simple truth: People are scary.

That's right. Anyone you don't know, assuming that you have been properly educated, is a potential threats. We are brought up to think this. Strangers offer you poisoned sweets that will blacken our stomachs. They pick you up in cars and take you to their houses where you have to eat vegetables ALL the time. Strangers are bad people.

The idea of a weekend in which I must meet and befriend 149 strangers makes my brain flee with arms waving in the air. There just isn't enough time. I need to watch, tread carefully, and calculate the danger. In three days? Not possible.

But whilst my brain is allowed to run free, even if that does mean away, my body must stay and schmooze. Small talk is shared; the unimportant things like age and favorite films. Nothing that could be used to there advantage, things like the location of my spare key.

I get so used to sharing little pointless things that I run on autopilot when talking to people. I'm Chris. I'm 21. I like Serenity. Lather, rinse, repeat, forever and ever. I'm safe, but missing out on the real conversations.

Like, how would you defend your house against a ninja invasion? Or, what do you think it's like to die? Or, how is it that Big Brother is still getting commissioned?

The types of conversations you have with people who you know and aren't afraid of. The best bit about University really.

It certainly isn't the stranger-filled first few weeks. Just what was my past-self thinking?!

:D

http://pullmyheartstrings.deviantart.com/art/undie-shy-19385266

No comments:

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory