Friday 19 September 2008

To Pastures New

In less than twenty-four hours, my little sister, the youngest in the family, will have moved out and into her University home. Life is catching up with me and I’m feeling old.

It was only three years ago that I was taking the journey myself. I was marveling that my life could all be fit into a small amount of boxes, shopping at bargain supermarkets so I didn’t starve in my first week, and saying goodbyes to all I loved.

Boy, has my life changed!

My life can’t fit into my room, let alone boxes. I’ve lived more, loved more and learned more than all that combined. I’ve lived in three houses, fallen in and out of friendship groups, got drunk way too much, slept way too little and worked just enough to keep me from starvation.

And here’s my sister, preparing to take the same journey. They’ll be differences of course. She’s a girl so bound to fall in and out of friendships more than I did. She’ll also balance her money better. But her life is going to change in a big way.

I stand here and wave goodbye, looking forward to the stories she’ll tell at Christmas as a new person. But also, I’m a little sad.

I guess I might just miss my old sister.

:)

http://saintworksart.deviantart.com/art/She-s-Leaving-Home-83093321

No comments:

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory