Sunday 3 February 2008

Facebook Dilemmas And How To Solve Them: Part Four


"Join Us" People

Facebook is a social thing. It's all about networking and seeing what your friends are doing, when they're doing it and how much they like it. Your profile is basically you. Probably a little cleaner and world-suitable but you all the same.

Using this metaphor, you visit your friends by clicking on their profile, you speak to them by leaving comments and you poke them by, well, poking them. It is a little, self-sufficient cyber world.

Still keeping with the metaphor, it becomes very easy to see why all these groups and application invites become a problem. Joining a group is the same as joining a group in real life. So it's all really good if you like sandwiches and then join a "Sandwiches lovers" group. But it shouldn't be your job to start recruiting other sandwich lovers to join as well. It's online bullying. It's rude.

I don't want to sign into my profile and see that people think I should hate Jimmy Carr (I don't), or find drunken texts amusing (I do). That's for me to decide. In this real world metaphor, this becomes people on the street handing out leaflets. Except more annoying because I can actively avoid the street where those leaflet people patrol.

There has also become an alarming trend, if anything facebook-related could be referred to as 'alarming', in joining groups just 'because'. In real life, if I join a yoga group, I've got to actively go and do yoga. But people get invited, look at the group once and join, never to visit again. It becomes an alternative to the interests part in your profile section. Are you really interested in saving the rainforest or do you just want people to think you are?

Applications are similar. I'm so happy for everyone for playing poker or finding out what drug they are or which character in 'Hollyoaks' they are most like. But I don't feel like knowing these things about myself. If I did, I'd add the application.

At this stage, this has become more of a rant than a dilemma, but I will still offer a solution. If you agree, or even if you don't, stop inviting people to applications. Stop joining groups you have no intention of revisiting. Think hard about how many groups you are a member of and delete those that you haven't clicked on in the last month.

Remember, your profile is you. If you're too busy being cannabis or actively hating Jimmy Carr, you have no time for the fun stuff.

Like poking people.

:D

No comments:

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory