Friday 22 February 2008

No Oscar For Page


I went to see Juno last night, a film I've wanted to see since last year. In fact, I remember discovering it and ringing up Nicki (Film Buddy) to tell her that no matter what she is doing or what I was doing, we were going to see this film. And we did.

And it was awesome. It was a really sweet film which was funny and moving and all the other words that I'm sure a thousand other film articles have described it as. So I won't be one of them.

Instead, let me profess my love to Ellen Page. She's pretty and cute and funny and a damn fine actress on top of that. Also, she played one of my favourite X-Men characters, sadly in a sub-par film.

There is a moment near the beginning of the film in which she is sitting in a chair in the front garden of the father. She is pretending to smoke a pipe (awesome enough on its own) and she tells him that she is pregnant. That is the moment I decided that she was amazing.

Her words are spoken confidently but behind her eyes you can see that she is only a kid, totally confused and seriously worried. It was at that point I decided that all the people who had told me she was the worst part about the film were wrong. Just plain wrong.

My instant reaction is to announce that Lil' Miss Page deserves the Oscar that she has been nominated for. Part of me even wants to give it to her personally. But then I began to think.

Halle Berry won an Oscar and went on to make Catwoman and Perfect Stranger. Both very rubbish films.

Charlize Theron won, and went on to make Aeon Flux.

So I say 'Don't give her the Oscar'. She deserves it, sure, but I'd much rather see her continue to make five-star films than waste her talent on terrible films, thanks to the curse of the Oscar.

Besides, she should know that she did good. She did real good. And that should be enough.

:D

http://gallery.ellen-page.net/displayimage.php?album=337&pos=3

1 comment:

Nick said...

You think she's good in Juno, you should see her in Hard Candy. That movie is hardcore... and drastically different than Juno.

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory