Monday 26 May 2008

Manic Monday (Star)


So, the word is Star.

My initial reaction was to go with the romance of stars and the humbling nature they inflict on us (By us I mean, as always, me. Maybe they don’t humble anyone else).

Then, I remembered an old joke, I figured I could have the best of both worlds.

So...

Sherlock Holmes and Watson were out camping in the woods. They lay out on the grass, staring up at the stars.

“Watson.” Holmes said, snapping his partner out of his daydream.
“Hm?” replied Watson, which isn’t even a real word.
“What do you see?”
“I see the stars.”
“And what does that tell you Watson?” Holmes asked.

“Well. It tells me that we are so small in the grand scheme of things. That when we get caught up in our own lives we should look up and see that the universe is huge and we are only tiny specks.’

‘And that is just our universe. Somewhere, there is more, which makes us even smaller. How can people even think that their problems with love or work or whatever can mean anything when we are less than a piece of dust in the galaxy’

‘It tells me that people need to take the time to be humble once in a while, to look at these specks of light which have taken thousands of years to get here, which is hundreds of human lifetimes. We’re only around for a blink in the galaxy’s eye and we should savour that time instead of fussing about the little things that will never be remembered’

‘It shows me why people can believe in a great creator, how they can look up at the night sky and see such raw beauty that gives the impression some kind of god with artistic talent had a hand in making this world. But it also lets me marvel at the power of science, how a ball of gasses can create pretty lights that travel for billions of miles to appear to us now. Some of the stars might even be dead, and we wouldn’t know’

‘Why? What does it tell you?”

Sherlock took a puff of his trademark pipe and breathed the smoke out into the night air.

“It tells me, dear Watson, that somebody has stolen our tent.”

:D

No comments:

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory