Monday 12 May 2008

Spaghetti: Demon Food!


The technique is simple.

You take a fork, preferably a clean one. Hold it at the un-pointy end, so the rest of the fork faces down. Stab into the spaghetti and begin to turn the fork.

The spaghetti should be becoming a larger and larger coil before running out and staying on your fork. Now, it is the easy matter of scooping a little bit of mince onto the top and eating it.

Chew, then swallow.

Congratulations! You have just eaten a bite of Spaghetti Bolognese. Just about thirty more mouthfuls to go and you've finished the plate.

All very simple right?

Wrong!

The spaghetti never goes on the fork properly, and it often curls itself back down onto the main spaghetti pile. Or some strands will curl and one or two will droop from the fork. So now I have the option of starting the curling technique again, or risking those couple of strands hitting my chin during the eating process.

Then, when I try to place the mince on top, I tilt my fork too much and the collected spaghetti tumbles off. Or the mince just slips off the sauced-up pasta already on the fork.

By the time I even eat the first mouthful, after way too many attempts to get it onto the fork in the first place, the rest of the meal is cold. Now it's not worth eating.

Seriously, I figured that at the age of twenty-one these kind of things would come to me easily. But, as the two stains on my work shirt prove to the world, I still can't eat Spaghetti without making a complete fool of myself and a mess.

Perhaps I should stick to sandwiches.

:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's why I cheat and make bolognese with pasta instead! :D

Anonymous said...

duh! A university education and you don't know that you eat spaghetti with a SPOON and fork. The spoon scoops up a small amount from which you twist it onto your fork. Seems now you need a handbook for how to eat.

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory