Tuesday 27 May 2008

The Trouble With Puddles

There are two important things you need in life: a good head on your shoulders and good shoes on your feet.

Wise advice indeed, yet I forget who said it. The whole thing sounds like something a parent would impart on their child, but my memory seems to imply that it was a drunk friend instead.

Also, whilst the advice may be good, my life has been spent not listening to it. I do have a good head on my shoulder, but am perpetually destroying it with television and alcohol. And my shoes are a mess.

I kind of like them that way. I’ve had them about a year now and they are falling apart quite impressively. It gives them character. If they inexplicably grew mouths and managed to talk, my shoes would have interesting stories to tell, especially over the white, sterile Nike trainers of other people.

Sure, they may also complain a lot, but that’s what old people (shoes) do. It goes with the territory.

My current shoes are so full of holes that if they entered a sponge look-a-like competition they would place a respectable third. Again, it’s all about character.

The downside to having holey shoes, and the curse of many a good person, is rain. It always seems to catch me by surprise: a step in a puddle and a wet sock. Always, damn it. I never learn.

I’ve taken to the only course of action available: like the aliens from ‘Signs’ and the Wicked Witch of the West, I just stay indoors when it rains. Sure, I avoid socialization and work and important opportunities, but at least my feet stay dry.

It’s either that, or have boring shoes. And I need something interesting to talk to when I’m stuck indoors.

:P

http://profanacja.deviantart.com/art/puddle-42239811

No comments:

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory