Thursday 6 March 2008

Anarchic Anti-Atheism


I do not believe in God. I do not believe that there is some higher power standing or sitting above me and deciding where my life should go. I cannot hand my existence into the hands of someone or something that is also responsible for a billion other people.

It would also involve believing that a being capable of creating an entire world in six days would care whether I believed in him. Would I want someone so insecure running my life?

If he had wanted belief, then why the free will? Surely he is setting us up for a fall into damnation by allowing us the choice of 'sin'?

And I can never get past the idea that, a couple of centuries ago, people believed that the sun was pulled by a chariot, yet we laugh at those people now. Will people be laughing at us in a hundred years time?

So I don't believe in God, but I refuse to called myself an atheist. Not because it technically means that if God showed himself to be true, I'd still shout out that I didn't believe. Because I refuse to call myself agnostic.

Both of these 'a' words would mean that I was defining myself by my lack of belief in something. I don't believe in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy but I wouldn't bring these up when asked to describe myself.

Similarly, unless I'm asked about my religious views, I feel no need to have a name for not believing in a Deity.

I don't believe in God. That is all there is to it.

:D

http://bloodymay.deviantart.com/art/Hidden-Angel-41173958

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why after this little rant did u decide to change the religious views section on your facebook to atheist?
Also, I'd like to point out that atheist and agnostic aren't interchangeable terms. And if you were to call yourself agnostic you're not defining yourself by your lack of belief in something, because you believe it's impossible to know whether God exists or not.
But despite my criticisms I pretty much agree with you. Although I find it easier just to say I'm not religious! :)

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory