Tuesday 18 March 2008

Entering The Techno-Age


This may seem like a normal blog. You will see the same letters and words that appear in every other blog, under the same web address and using the same font. In fact, I could have typed this with you being none the wiser.

But this blog is a landmark: it is the first one typed on my brand new laptop. I could say that it is the first one typed on a laptop in general, but many of those already exist. The ones that I typed at Emma's were all laptop fiction. But this is the first piece of writing coming from a laptop that belongs to me.

I call her Jessica. Because it sounds like a professional name, like someone who would be able to spend time doing work but is never too serious. And when she wants to let her hair down, she can be Jess and party the night away with 'Spider Solitaire'.

OK, right now Jess isn't all that advanced. She hasn't got 'Word' or 'Publisher' or 'Excel'. So she is fairly basic with what she can do right now. She isn't the dumbest kid in class though, because at least she's trying.

And what Jess allows me is freedom. Right now, I'm laid vertically (Well, almost) on a sofa, half-watching "Real Time With Bill Maher", some political chat show from America that I've only just discovered. And in some weird ironic twist, Josh Lyman (Real name: Bradley Whitford) from the 'West Wing' is on it discussing politics.

Jess means I can write on trains and in cars and in cafes whilst drinking coffee. I don't drink coffee, but now I've got Jess, I feel like I should start. I could climb a tree and write up there.

Sure, I could have done all of this before, with a pad and pen. I could have gone climbing trees, watched political shows or started to drink coffee, whilst scribbling out the next great novel with a Biro and some A4 paper. And yet, there seems to be something more, well, work-like to typing even the smallest of the thoughts onto a computer.

Also, whenever I want to write up a new idea, I can never find a pen.

But now, with Jess by my side, I can type up scripts and stories and treatments. Also, I can type blogs and access the Internet. Never will I ever have to send a rushed text to Emma saying "Can you log on a post a blog for me, please." again.

With Jess, nothing and no-one can stop me!

:D

No comments:

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory