Friday 4 April 2008

Five On Friday: Non-Disney Films Every Kid Should See

Don't get me wrong based on my title: there is nothing wrong with Disney films. However, whilst I feel that Disney films will stand the test of time, and to a certain degree they already have, the films below are ones that I worry will be forgotten, lost in an ocean of films with fancy special effects and current fads.

This can't happen! Each one of these is a gem in story-telling and film-making and the very idea that any of them will be replaced in a child's life by 'High School Musical' or some other teeny-bopper lacklustre effort (Although, in their defense, I haven't seen them) concerns me greatly.

Also, for the purposes of this, Pixar counts as Disney, otherwise it would be a list of five Pixar films.

Hook


First things first, this trailer sucks. I'm sorry, but it was the 'official' one.

Second, this film was slated by people as Spielberg's worst mistake. Harsh words, but then I was a kid when I first watched this. Even as a watched it as an adult, I clung to my memory of it from childhood.

The film has everything a kid could ask for: Sword-fights, food-fights, flying, fairies, pirates, and Robin Williams. It's all filled with such a sense of fun that any down sides are quickly forgotten. Also, Dustin Hoffman IS Hook, in one of those rare cases where actor and character merge and no-one can tell where one begins and the other ends.

The Goonies


I have to admit now, I never saw this as a child, and for that I feel a little cheated. Again this involves both Steven Spielberg and pirates. It works in a similar fashion to Harry Potter; Every kid wants to be a wizard and every kid wants to have a band of friends that find a treasure map.

The film gets quite dark at points, but this is a good thing. I don't think that all kid's films should be happy and upbeat, if only to not patronise our children. The darkness only makes the eventual victory all the greater.

Back To The Future


Everything about this film cements its 'classic' status. Micheal J Fox as Marty McFly, Doc Brown and a speaker blowing the main hero across the room. A time machine in a Delorean, the broken clock, the dance at the end. I mean it. Everything.

Not only will this film entertain your kid, it'll also teach them about time paradoxes, for the future when time-travel will be possible. Very important, I'd say.

Ghostbusters


The one and only film on this list that doesn't have a credit for Mr. Spielberg attached to it.

I saw this film again, as a teen, and was very surprised at the amount of adult content involved. Some parts are quite terrifying and also full of sexual innuendo (Hmm, every time I write that I imagine the Todd from 'Scrubs' saying "In-your-endo!"), but as a kid this was one of my favourite films.

Again, it taps into a base childhood dream, to fight ghosts and have a cool theme tune.

Gremlins


Quite a horrifying film, for someone young, but like Ghostbusters I have to use the yardstick that if it didn't scar me as a kid, then I doubt it would scare anyone else.

Not only does this have small evil creatures blowing up in microwaves and old ladies flying out of windows, it also has a very important moral message: Don't feed gremlins after midnight!

Also, Gizmo is the epitome of cute.

Runners-Up
Indiana Jones - Only left out because with the release of the new film, I doubt it will be forgotten for a long time.
Star Wars - The original trilogy. I feel it is important to get them to watch it before pop-culture tells them who Luke's real father is. Although I watched 'Return of the Jedi' first, and still enjoyed the whole experience.
Lord of the Rings - For the older child.
Any Pixar Film - Sorry, it has to be said. These are the BEST, by a very long way. Smart, funny, visually brilliant and watchable for both adults and children alike. Perfect.

:D

No comments:

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory