Saturday 12 April 2008

New Book

I fell asleep on the train today. This, in itself, isn't all that surprising. There's something about the vibrations and the comfy chairs that just lends itself to sleep. Also, the day before had been a long one and more sleep would have been welcome.

Anyway, the problem came when I woke up as doors were closing and the train was pulling away from the station I was supposed to be getting off on. I ended up in the middle of nowhere with an extra half hour to kill. I was late for work. Also, it rained.

In a bid to avoid the same fate on my way home, I walked to the shop in search of a book to read. It seems that Asda customers are big fans of books about children surviving tough upbringings and biographies about people who haven't done enough to deserve even one page written about them.

Since I don't care about either of these, I ended up in the children's book section. It was here that I found 'Skulduggery Pleasant'.

The front cover had a picture of a skeleton, dressed as a detective. I was interested, so I flipped it over. The back told me little that the picture hadn't already told me. Yes, he was a skeleton and yes, he was a detective. He was also a magician.

It also had quotes telling me that the book was funny, but I've found that kid's book funny doesn't often translate to real funny. The only books I can think of that break this rule are the 'Series of Unfortunate Events' series.

So I opened the book, in search of a passage to allow the book to prove its humour. And for the first time in my life, I bought a book based on the author biography.

For those that are curious as to what it said to win me over, the passage can be found below. Hopefully the book is as good.

"Before writing his children's story about a sharply-dressed skeleton detective, Derek Landy wrote the screenplays for a zombie movie and a murderous thriller in which everybody dies.

As a black belt in Kenpo Karate he has taught countless children how to defend themselves, in the hopes of building his own private munchkin army. He firmly believes that they await his call to strike against his enemies (he doesn't actually have any enemies, but he's assuming they'll show up, sooner or later).

Derek lives on the outskirts of Dublin, and the reason he writes his own biography blurb is so that he can finally refer to himself in the third person without looking pompous or insane."

:D

PS. If memory serves, the author description for a Stephen Fry book is pretty good, but I purchased that before reading it, so it doesn't count.

http://eskimoblueboy.deviantart.com/art/Books-Books-Books-73000817

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else - James M. Barrie

He speaks sense, that old man :)
xxxx

Nick said...

Haha, holy crap! I love this book (the second one is coming out next month, I believe). It's hilarious. And the funniest part about this post is... that's exactly how I described it when I was telling one of my co-workers about it. I, too, bought the book based on the author biography. I thought it was brilliant.

Back when I was talking with you about the magical detectives, this is the one big one that was on my mind at the time I was writing my response :P .

Life (And Sandwiches) said...

Well, there are a few reasons why I feel gifted living in England. The first is getting to see 'Shaun of the Dead' and 'Hot Fuzz' first. The second, it seems, is that we get the next Skulduggery Pleasent book first as well.

Since I devoured the first one in a DAY, I swiftly went out and purchased the sequel. It's amazing!

The whole thing is loads darker, and I was often left wondering how they can still describe it as a kid's book. The villians are better, the set pieces are better and the banter between Valkyre and Skulduggery is spot on.

The only downside is that the books came out now. I've checked his IMDB page and he has one film 'in development'. It's bound to be the 'Skulduggery' film, which is a shame because it is something I would love to make myself.

Mosty because it would be a passion project, but partly to stop someone else coming and screwing the whole thing up.

*Sigh* If only he had waited a few more years.

:)

Nick said...

Yeah! Darn you for being able to see Edgar Wright movies first!

Yeah, it took me no time at all to finish the first book. It might be 400 pages, but the print is HUGE. And it's mostly dialogue.

I was wary about the second book, as the Amazon description for it made it sound way cheesy and silly, but I'm glad to hear it's really dark and cool.

And yeah, he basically wrote the books so that they could be turned into movies (they're very cinematically written. I should know, I sometimes write in a similar style... though better, if I might be full of myself for a moment :P). So he is working on the movie version of the first book right now. It should be coming out next year, I believe.

Life (And Sandwiches) said...

Yeah, I noticed the cinematic writing style.

Is he directing the film? Do you know if any actors have been cast?

:)

Nick said...

No, I don't think he's set to direct, just write. And I don't think anybody has been cast yet. And I just looked and was mistaken. It's coming out 2010, not 2009. Darn!

Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory